Monday, July 12, 2010

My Dad & Big G

As is with most people, my dad is the one that introduced me to fishing and has been my main fishing partner over the years.  He and I had fished Warrior River (the river I grew up fishing) a couple of times earlier this year, and the fishing had been good.  We caught about 20-30 1-2# fish when we went and one 5# (mine).  I decided that I would take my old man up to Big G and see if I could get him some decent sized fish. We went up the same weekend that the Bassmasters Elite series was up there.  It was a very windy weekend and we were forced to stay in one area of the lake to hide from the wind (and the pros).  We got to the lake around 6pm on Friday and I decided to show my dad "this one spot".  In an hour and a half we boated about 10 fish.  At one time he hooked into a fish and said something like "Wow I think I have a big one" and as I stopped reeling to grab the net, my rod bowed over and I had a fish on as well. He got his fish to the boat and pulled him in and was very pleased with.  About that time, I reached down and lipped my fish and as I did I expected him to be a bit dis-heartened as I pulled mine out of the water.  Surprisingly he was not, all he could say was "Damn boy, where did you learn to fish?"  In the picture below, the one on the left (his right hand) was my fish and the one on the right (his left hand) was his fish.
The next morning we went back to a spot near that one and caught about 20 more fish with most of them being in the 3# range.

Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment